Creating a group
Using StarLeaf appLast updated December 17, 2019
You can create a group with one or more contacts in your organization. You can call, send messages to, and start meetings with a group.
To learn more about groups, select a topic below.
A group can be created by anyone and can be private or public.
A private group is only visible to people who are invited to join by the group admin. A public group is visible to everyone in the organization and anyone can join without an invitation.
If a user leaves or is removed from a private group, the chat history and shared content is no longer accessible or visible to that user.
- From the app, select the add button. On an iPhone, this is at the top of the screen:
- Choose New group.
- Set the group details: Group name, Description (optional), Privacy , and Group avatar (select the camera icon to change this).
- Add users to your group by typing their name in to the search bar and selecting them.
- When you have added the contacts you want, select Create group.
If you create a group, you automatically become the admin of that group.
Admins can add and remove people from a group. Admins can also choose to make anybody else in the group another admin. They can remove their own admin status as long as there is at least one other admin in the group.
In a group’s information panel, members are listed in the order of when they originally joined or were added to the group. If a member leaves and rejoins, they regain their original position in the order.
There must always be at least one admin in a group. If the only admin happens to leave a group, admin rights are automatically transferred to the member in the list who joined the group first. For example, if the group creator is the only admin in a group and leaves the group, the member who joined or was added to the group immediately after the creator automatically becomes the admin.
An admin of a group can promote another member to admin and also demote someone from admin.
To promote a member to admin:
- Go to i, the information page of the group.
- Select the member you want to make admin.
- Select Make group admin.
If you want to remove a member’s admin status, take the same steps as above and select Demote from admin.