Making a call
Using PT Mini 3020Last updated November 5, 2019
You can make a call in a few different ways:
- Dial a number: Simply dial the number using the keypad
- Call one of your favorites: Press the contacts button and then favorites to search for the favorite that you want to call
- Return a call: Go to call and under recent calls select the call you want to return
- Call someone in the company’s directory: Go to contacts > company directory and choose someone to call
- Call someone from your own personal contact list: Go to contacts > personal contacts
- Dial a video address that might be a series of letters, numbers or symbols
You can dial a number as you would with any phone, using the keypad.
You might need a prefix to dial out onto the public telephone network. For example, in some companies you are told to “dial 9 for an outside line”. Dialing the telephone network from your StarLeaf endpoints is an optional extra.
To redial a call that you received recently:
- Press recent calls from the home screen.
- Scroll on the touchscreen to navigate to the call you want to redial.
- Press the contact in the list to dial that number.
To manually search the company’s directory:
- From the home screen, go to contacts > company directory
and select search.
- Use the keyboard to type the name of the person you want to find.
The search keyboard looks like this:
You might need to dial someone who has a video address that includes letters, numbers, or symbols. This might be known as a URI or it might be an IP address.
Press the keyboard icon in the type field to display a full keyboard for you to access letters and numbers:
If you are dialing an IP address, you can do so by using the keypad of the touchscreen controller. Press the star (asterisk) key where you would normally put a dot, and press the hash (pound) key to cause the system to dial the IP address you have entered.
You might need letters or special characters when you want to call third-party video-conferencing equipment (e.g Polycom, Lifesize, Cisco, Tandberg endpoints).
If you do not know how to dial somebody, send them a guest invite. This contains all the dialing information so that somebody can call you.
Using the Dialer, you can call the following:
- Anyone in your company who has a StarLeaf endpoint (either the StarLeaf app or a hardware endpoint). These people are all in Contacts
- Anyone outside your company who has a StarLeaf endpoint; just dial their email address from your StarLeaf hardware video endpoint or from the StarLeaf app
- Anyone else. If someone has not got a StarLeaf endpoint, you can still have a video call with them. There are two ways of doing this:
- Send them an invite and they can click a link to video call you from their web browser or they can install the StarLeaf app
- If they already have video conferencing equipment, they can call you using that (or you can call them if you know their video address or URI)