Managing StarLeaf advancedLast updated November 19, 2021
On this page:
Configure sites on the Portal for the purposes of location-specific settings such as how StarLeaf will:
- specify the default timezone
- specify the default language to be used on the touchscreen controllers of room systems, StarLeaf app, and other StarLeaf endpoints
- apply location-specific QoS settings in a multi-site deployment
- apply location-specific power-line frequency to eliminate flicker on room systems caused by florescent lights
When you create an organization, the country you enter will determine your data center location. This will also become your default site. Individual users and room systems can be configured to use a different time zone and language to the default for their site or organization.
You can change the settings of your default site including country, but your organization will not be moved to a different data center.
When used in combination with PSTN SIP trunks, sites also allow StarLeaf to:
- route calls originating from a particular site to a particular PSTN SIP trunk. A site usually maps onto a geographical location, but where necessary you can configure more than one site per geographical location (for example, to allow calls from one geographical location to be routed to more than one PSTN SIP trunk) or you might find that you can group multiple geographical locations into one site if they have the same requirements
- interpret and re-format locally-dialed numbers for the trunk to which they are destined. For example, certain providers expect telephone numbers to be formatted as national numbers whereas other providers expect numbers to be formatted for international dialing
- present a caller ID to the person receiving a call from a PSTN SIP trunk that will make sense to that person within the context of their own location. For example, an incoming call to an endpoint in a US site from a French PSTN SIP trunk will need to look like a French number rather than a locally dialed number
Integration with PSTN SIP trunks (VoiceConnect) is an optional addition to StarLeaf accounts. For more information about PSTN SIP trunks, refer to About PSTN SIP trunks.
In general, the sites you configure will map onto the geographical locations in your organization. If you are creating sites for the purposes of deploying PSTN connectivity, remember that a site determines the location of any telephone numbers on the trunk. This means that you cannot change the country or area code for a telephone number on a SIP trunk.
You can have many trunks for a site, but a trunk can only exist in one site. It might be useful to group several of your geographical locations together into one ‘site’ based on their shared requirements.
For example, in some deployments, home workers could be placed into their own site to provide them with the necessary settings and a default site trunk to which their PSTN calls are routed. However, in other deployments, it might be more appropriate to place home workers into a site along with other physical locations where users have the same dialing requirements.
If you have sites enabled on your StarLeaf organization, you will by default have one site pre-configured. This is the default site for your organization. To add additional sites:
- In the Portal, go to Sites > Add site:
- Complete the fields:
- Label: A name to help you identify this site
- Country: Geographical location of this site
- Area: Some countries are divided into areas for the purpose of PSTN dialing
- Default time zone: The time zone that the site is in. This is for the purpose of displaying the correct time on endpoints and also to schedule conferences at the correct time when participants are in different time zones. You can override the default time zone on a per-user and per-room system basis
- Default language: The default language for users and room systems for this site. You can override the default language on a per-user and a per-room system basis
- Messaging integration: Open this dropdown to select the site’s preferred messaging integration.
- Advanced settings: Open this dropdown to set the max send and receive rate for the site. You can also set the Power line frequency, and configure the DSCP value for Quality of Service.
- Click Apply at the bottom of the page.