Portal configuration for VoiceConnect PSTN SIP trunks
Last updated May 21, 2021 VoiceConnect (PSTN)
Integration with PSTN SIP trunks, known as VoiceConnect, provides inbound and outbound calling to and from the global telephone network for your organization.
On this page:
An external SIP trunk can only be configured with a single SIP trunk added in the StarLeaf Portal. Entering the same Gateway and Extension authentication of an external SIP trunk to multiple SIP trunks in the StarLeaf Portal, will cause the configuration to fail.
If you want to have multiple SIP trunks configured to a single SIP trunk provider, you must purchase more SIP trunks from that external provider.
VoiceConnect (integration with PSTN SIP trunks) is an optional extra on your StarLeaf account.
A site determines the location of any telephone numbers on the trunk. That is, you cannot change the country or area code for a telephone number on a trunk.About PSTN SIP trunks; you might want to configure multiple sites in the Portal before you proceed.
- In the StarLeaf Portal, go to PSTN SIP trunks and choose Add PSTN SIP trunk:
- From the Provider drop-down menu, select your SIP trunk provider and complete the following:
- Name: Give the trunk a name (so you can identify this trunk)
- Description: Add a description (optional)
- Gateway: For some providers, the Portal asks for a gateway. This might be a specific domain allocated on a per-customer basis or it will be a region specific gateway and in this case, enter a domain or an IP address
- Site: Choose the site for this SIP trunk. Note that the country (and area, if applicable) of the site will dictate the dialing code for the telephone numbers associated with this trunk
- Add the telephone numbers that you have bought from the provider. For each number that you have purchased, enter authentication details from your SIP trunk provider. What you enter here varies from provider to provider (and some provider configurations are documented in PSTN SIP authentication). You might need to contact StarLeaf Support for help.
- Registration name: Sometimes this is the telephone number, a username, or an account number and sometimes this is not required
- Extension authentication: You must enter a value here. It will be the same as the Registration name (unless that is empty). Often it is the username or the telephone number, but sometimes it is an account number
- Extension password: The password for the telephone number
- In the StarLeaf Portal, go to PSTN SIP numbers. You will see all the numbers that you have purchased and added to your configured trunks. For each PSTN number you can configure these settings:
- Target: Choose a user, room system or hunt group to be the target for a PSTN number. This means that any incoming calls to this number will be routed to the chosen user, room system or hunt group. It also means that outgoing calls from the target, where that is a user or a room, will use the PSTN number as the caller ID. Note that members of hunt groups will not use the target as their outgoing caller ID and will instead use either their own target number if they have one, or the site default if there is one, or the organization default
- Site default: You can choose one PSTN number per site to be the site default. This means that all outgoing calls from the site will use this number as their caller ID (unless the room or user making the call is a target for another PSTN number)
- Organization default: You can choose one PSTN number to be the organization default. This will be used as the caller ID where the user or room both does not have a site default and is not a target for another PSTN number
- Click Apply.
You can also assign PSTN numbers through the, the , and the pages.
Assigned PSTN numbers do not automatically appear in the directory, however if necessary, you can add these by editing the details for a room, user, or hunt group. For example, you can add the PSTN number as a user’s Work number.
For VoiceConnect guides that are specific to certain SIP providers, select one of the following: