Outlook Scheduling Plugin for admins
Last updated July 19, 2017
The StarLeaf Outlook Plugin allows all Outlook users in an organization to schedule video meetings directly from their Outlook client.
Users install the plugin on their Windows computer or you can mass-deploy the plugin.
The plugin allows users to schedule meetings from Outlook. The meeting invitations are pre-populated with the correct dial-in details for the video meeting and with invitation text. This invitation text is customizable.
The StarLeaf Outlook Plugin supports Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- You can invite meeting room systems to the video meeting. StarLeaf meeting room systems display a Join Now button making it very easy for people to join their video meeting
- If you later want to update any of the meeting details (e.g. change the time of your meeting), you can do so by editing the meeting details in your Outlook calendar. All participants receive email updates
- To cancel a meeting, find the the meeting details in your Outlook calendar and choose delete. All participants receive email updates
- To convert a regular Outlook meeting into a video meeting, open the meeting details and click Schedule:
- Outlook 2010: If you are using this version of Outlook, and you create a repeating conference, you cannot later edit a single occurrence of that conference
- Close Outlook on your computer.
- Download the plugin from here .
Clicking the link starts the download automatically.
- Run the file you have downloaded and follow onscreen instructions.
- Restart Outlook. A new option appears on the Outlook ribbon:
StarLeaf provides an MSI installer for the Windows Outlook plugin.
The MSI installer can be used with Microsoft deployment tools to mass deploy the plugin to a group of users.
By default the StarLeaf Outlook plugin installer installs to a single user profile in Windows.
Optionally, you can use the ALLUSERS flag to control this behavior:
- ALLUSERS=0 This is the recommended default and installs to a single user. The plugin automatically upgrades in this case
- ALLUSERS=1 This causes a machine-wide install and in this case, auto upgrade is disabled. You need to manually push upgrades to your users
If you use Outlook Calendar to schedule meeting rooms, it is useful to integrate that with the StarLeaf Outlook Plugin. This means that when a user schedules a video meeting, and books a meeting room, the Join Now button on the meeting room system in that room will automatically light up when the meeting is due to start. To do so:
- Contact StarLeaf technical support to enable this feature for your organization.
- For each meeting room system, go to Email address that the Outlook system associates with that meeting room.
Now, when users choose this meeting room for their video conference (in), the Join Now button will light up to enable participants to join the meeting with one press. and enter the
The StarLeaf Outlook Plugin pre-populates an invitation with text from the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\StarLeaf\StarLeaf Schedulingfile, which it finds in the directory on each user’s PC:
supports text with text formatting and can contain images.
The footer file can contain any text along with special tags. These tags are used as place holders, which the plugin replaces with conference specific information. The tags are described in the table below:
|<dial_starleaf>||A URI that a participant could dial to join the conference using a StarLeaf endpoint.|
|<dial_standards>||A URI that a participant could use to join the conference using a standards-based (H.323 or SIP) endpoint.|
|<access_code_pstn>||The access code required by participants who dial in from the PSTN (audio-only telephone).|
|<local_pstn>||A PSTN number, which is either a relevant PSTN number based on the user’s location, or a default PSTN number.|
|<dial_info_url>||A link to a web page that provides all the relevant dialing information for a conference.|
A link to the web page with the PSTN tab selected by default.
|<breeze_link>||A link that a StarLeaf Breeze user can use to launch Breeze and join the conference.|
|<lync_link>||A link that a Skype for Business user can use to launch Skype for Business and join the conference.|
|<webrtc_link>||A link that launches a browser so that the user can join the conference from the browser.|
If you are editing the footer.rtf in Microsoft Word and you want to embed links (rather that putting the whole hyperlinked address in the text) you must URL-encode the tag. For example, instead of <dial_info_url> the hyperlink should be set to %3cdial_info_url%3e. This is shown in the example footer.rtf .
To download an example here . Clicking the link starts the download automatically.file. click
- Design your footer files.
- Test the files on a test client PC.
- Deploy to your users. Either:
- each user simply places the footer files in the appropriate directory
- you can deploy the footer files using centralized management software
You or your reseller can get help by raising a case with StarLeaf Technical Support.